Breakthrough Byte With Jeff Shuey
The Intersection Between Technology and People
Mixed Reality is the Gateway Drug
The path to Virtual Reality is paved with great dreams and expectations. It will take time, energy and a lot more innovation. But, it will happen.
The Gateway Drug to Virtual Reality is Mixed Reality. MR for short.
What is Mixed Reality
Mixed reality (MR), sometimes referred to as hybrid reality, is the merging of real and virtual worlds to produce new environments and visualizations where physical and digital objects co-exist and interact in real time.
Gaming systems will be some of the first to adopt the ideas and efforts of Mixed Reality.
Microsoft and Sony are already building Mixed Reality offerings for the XBOX and PlayStation, respectively.
As processing power increases and as technology continues to advance these gaming systems experiences will map and morph over to broader systems.
Rumor has it that Mixed Reality is the Tech to Watch in 2017
As have been envisioned for Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality scenarios these will come to fruition in Mixed Reality first. This is mainly a limitation in processing power, but there are also inherent limitations in the way humans think and expect to interact with computing systems – both in the physical and virtual worlds.
There are countless scenarios that can include Mixed Reality. A few are list below:
- People Operations (sometimes called Human Resources)
- Company training programs
- Scenarios that are as mundane as policies and procedures
- As The Gig Economy grows these need to be automated for efficiency (and efficacy)
- Mechanical and Physical Scenarios
Many of these we take for granted, but someone (and in the future something – think robots) will need these schematics and processes at their fingertips (literally and figuratively)
- Jet engine repair
- Starting up a power plant
- Routing the pipes in a building – electrical power, water (fresh, gray, waste), fire control systems, computer cabling, etc.
- City, State and Federal Planning
- Routing Traffic
- Managing Trains and Metros
- Disaster Planning and Management
- Air Traffic Control (Just wait until we have flying cars!)
All of these scenarios are being done today. Sometimes by humans exclusively, but typically with some (or a lot) of computing assistance.
Mixed Reality solutions will enable these scenarios to take baby steps into the worlds of Augmented Reality and eventually Virtual Reality.
This is why I say … Mixed Reality is the Gateway Drug.
- Why is Mixed Reality the Gateway Drug – It’s simple, because it allows humans to more comfortably adopt the future realities of AR and VR.
- Will Mixed Reality Take My Job? The simple answer is no, with a little bit of yes.
- How will people adopt Mixed Reality at Home? It will start with gaming systems.
- How will people adopt Mixed Reality at Work? It will likely start with policies and procedures.
- Is Mixed Reality a good thing? Overall the answer is yes. However, your mileage may vary.
Listen to Jeff on Breakthrough Radio
Follow, connect and communicate:
Follow, connect and communicate:
Listen to the Complete Radio Show this Week
As the “Voice” of Breakthrough Radio, a global business radio show, Michele recognizes when you focus on mastering the inner and outer game of business, success is yours to develop and retain.
Michele offers professional moderating and speaking on the topics of innovation, leadership, and building business audiences.
As a “Navigator” & Fractional CMO for startup, small, and mid-size businesses, Michele delivers original and forward-thinking solutions to help your company compete smarter in today’s fast speed of business.
Rethink everything you know about marketing when working with Michele because she will help you find and realize accelerated growth for your product, team, and business.
Michele Price is a fractional CMO, who’s progressive approach delivers substantial and original results. Michele provides extensive knowledge using digital media/marketing strategically, coupled with precise execution generates robust results.